The use of assessments, screening and testing help to evaluate student progress toward age-appropriate learning goals in an atmosphere that fosters growth, promotes positive self-esteem and maintains the integrity of the Montessori program. The Montessori School of Maui uses several assessment tools including individual standardized testing and formal and informal screenings. Parents and/or teachers may request a screening for a child. None of the assessments or screenings that are provided by the school are diagnostic. Parents will be informed if an assessment provided for a child indicates the possibility for concern and will be asked to schedule a conference with the teacher and/or the Head of School. Parents who seek outside services for their child are expected to keep the school informed by providing copies of assessments, screenings and/or testing results to the teacher for your child’s file. Children who are or have been identified as learning challenged may be provided with a Student Educational Plan upon request by the parents.
These are examples of productive reasons for assessments:
- To determine progression on developmental achievements
- To detect special needs, learning and teaching challenges
- To assist with curriculum, instructional and placement decisions
- To help a child assess their own progress
- To identify and understand student learning styles
- To monitor educational trends